Golden Globes 2010 - Rain didn't spoil the ball, satin did.

>> Monday, January 18, 2010

What a thoroughly disappointing Golden Globes it has been. Nobody wore anything risky, there were no real fashion disasters (I love Tina Fey too much to say anything) and worst of all, there was satin galore all over the red carpet! Have celebrities, stylists and designers not learnt of the folly of wearing satin to an award ceremony? It looks great on the mannequin, sure, but once it's on a live breathing human, it's absolutely impossible to keep it from creasing horribly if you so much as move.

Case in point:


A perfectly lovely Alexander McQueen creation ruined - not to mention cheapened. Here it just looks like cheap flimsy satin, the kind you'd expect to find on a dress in Forever 21. Also, while we're on the topic of Cameron Diaz, couldn't she have gone a size up? There's no harm in doing so, you know. Nobody will really know.

See what I mean?

More satin disasters:

Leona Lewis in Roberto Cavalli

I'm sure this isn't the look she was going for when she chose the dress

Lauren Graham - another beautiful dress ruined by virtue of wearer not being a plastic mannequin

If you are a plastic mannequin, however...

Another satin dress miraculously uncreased. I know people are going to go wild over this lingerie peek-a-boo thing Cotillard has going on here, but I can't say I'm a fan. That divine face more than makes up for it though.

Looking at this picture however, I'm inclined to believe that there isn't a thing Cotillard couldn't make work, and work exquisitely. She is the quintessential Frenchwoman and I love her.

0 comments:

You're Visitor Number

hit counter
Get a hit counter here.
About this Blog

I've loved fashion for as long as I can remember, so it only makes sense that I write for a fashion magazine. I find however that the experience of working in the industry is quite different from appreciating it from afar. That's why I chose to be a travel writer (I chronicle some of my travel experiences here) while staying at the magazine, albeit focusing more on the lifestyle aspects of the job. This means that I must find another outlet for all my sartorial web crawling - et voila! Monyet in Pearls was born.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP